Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yiele: Serving 16 latkes
- 5 cups of shredded peeled russet potatoes, or about 3 large ones
- ½ peeled shredded yellow onion
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of matzo meal
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Grape seed oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons of schmaltz for frying
- Optional toppings: applesauce, sour cream, chopped chives, fresh dill
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl and rinse well under cold water. Transfer the shredded potatoes onto a large piece of cheesecloth and squeeze as much liquid out as possible.
- Add the potatoes back to the bowl and by using utensils, mix them with the onions, baking powder, eggs, matzo meal, salt and pepper until combined.
- Make 16 individual patties and place them on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
- Next, add the oil and schmaltz to a medium size frying pan over medium heat and cook the latkes until they are golden brown on each side and cooked throughout, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Drain the latkes and then serve them hot with optional garnishes.