The perfect main dish! This simplistic slow roasted prime rib, maintains its moisture and flavour with only a few simple everyday ingredients, while highlighting the flavour of the prime rib. Try visiting your local butcher and pick up a good quality cut of standing rib roast to try this recipe, you will not be disappointed - it's simple but delicious.
Yield: 6 -10 Servings
6-12 lbs standing rib roast
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
Au jus, for serving
4 tablespoons beef drippings
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ cup red wine
2 cups beef broth divided
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper to taste
- Trim extra fat off the prime rib, and then tie it with butcher twine.
- The day before roasting the prime rib, season it liberally on all sides with salt and pepper. Place the roast on a heavy baking sheet with the fat cap side up and refrigerate, uncovered, overnight (or up to 24 hours).
- Remove the prime rib from the refrigerator and let it stand at room temperature for 2 hours before roasting.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F with the rack in the lower third of the oven. Place prime rib on a Cuisipro Roasting Rack in a roasting pan with the fat-cap side up.
- Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat reads 120-125°F for rare, 128-130°F for medium-rare, or 132-135°F for medium and medium-well. This will take 3-4 hours.
- Remove the prime rib from the oven, tent it with foil, and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 500°F. Uncover the roast and brush it with soft butter. Roast it in the oven for 10 minutes until the exterior is brown with a crisp crust.
- Carve the prime rib and serve with au jus on the side.
Method: Au Jus
- In saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter (or beef drippings) then sprinkle in flour. Whisk thoroughly until thin paste forms.
- Mix in wine for about 2 minutes or to cook down the alcohol
- Slowly whisk in the broth a little at a time.
- Once all the broth has been incorporated. Add in Worcestershire sauce and salt & pepper to taste
- Serve and enjoy!